Saturday, September 21, 2013

50 things about being 50!

#2 My Family Ties 
I smile when I think about the fond memories of my family. My mom, biological father, five siblings and a host of nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, and cousins are all alive today. That brings a smile to my face because so much of who I am stems from those family connections. Ma did all that she could to keep "young-ins' grounded and my stepfather did his best to help along those lines. My eldest brother, Ricky, was the best athlete. He could juke and move with a football like no other. The second eldest brother, Virgil was the comedian. He kept us laughing until it hurt.

I was the one who loved school and extra curricular activities and lived to excel inside the classroom and outside. My brother after me, Prince, was the fastest runner and a great dancer, but he liked to hang in the background and not show off his skills. My sister, Yvette, is the affectionate and sensitive one. She'll tell you many times a day that she loves you. Shariece, the youngest, is a reader and comedian too. She got jokes!

Although things haven't worked out well for some of family members, every day brings new hope that life will get better and lives will change. We're separated by the miles but our love for each other remains constant. I believe that God has used different circumstances and moments in my family to develop my character and teach me how to love like Him. I love my family and thankful that we still get to make memories! 

No comments:

Post a Comment