Saturday, September 7, 2013

50 things about being 50! 

#1: 29 Years of walking with God
I started going to church at a young age. Both my pastor and my uncle explained to me what it meant to be a Christian and led me through a prayer to invite Jesus Christ into my heart. I did that twice, but it was all "lip service" and no true commitment. I continued to do my own thing and as I entered college, my only goals in life were to graduate, get a job, get out of the 'hood, and make a lot of money. Summer following my freshman year in 1982, I went to live with my grandparents. It was there, in my grandmother's living room, that I bowed my knees and decided to make a true commitment to follow Jesus Christ. 

But once classes began again, I left my faith at grandma's house and lived life as if God did not exist. Social life seemed to be my major because I spent more time hanging out than studying for classes. That is, until I got to the point two years later where I realized that there had to more to life than parties and sporting events. A good friend invited me a Bible study small group and my faith started to soar. I learned that I had not just invited Jesus Christ into my heart at grandma's house, but I had established a personal relationship with Him. It was such a foreign concept to me that I could get to know God and talk to Him like I would a friend. But that perspective revolutionized my Christian growth.

I made the decision to put Him first in my life and have not turned back from following Him since that moment. That was in 1984 and the journey has been incredible. I have learned so much about God's Word, His will and His ways and have grown in character, compassion, and conduct. He took an angry, bitter, selfish, sharp-tongued, opinionated sista from the 'hood, and transformed her into the image of His beloved Son Jesus Christ. You know you've changed when family members ask how long can you stay rather than when are you leaving! 

The Bible says in the book of Ephesians chapter 2 verse 10 (Eph. 2:10) "For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them". It only gets sweeter in Christ and I wouldn't have it any other way!






No comments:

Post a Comment