Thursday, October 2, 2014

50 things about being 50! #4 High School Diploma

Born and raised in South Central Los Angeles, I entered a world in high school that was very different than the world in which I grew up. In fact, my claim to fame is that John Elway, hall of fame quarterback for the Denver Broncos, was a senior when I entered the 10th grade. Back then high school started in the 10th grade! The contrast of these two worlds created cultural challenges that I did not know even existed. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it prepared me for college life. 

As I looked around me, there were not a lot of kids in my neighborhood who aspired to get their diploma and I knew all too well that the chances of many of us graduating from high school were not great. But my parents, relatives, teachers and coaches encouraged me to stay in school and now I understand why they did so. On June 18, 1981 I had the dubious distinction of being the first in my family to graduate from high school. It was a day I will never forget! 

No comments:

Post a Comment